GM AUTOMOTIVE SERVICE EDUCATION PROGRAM (ASEP)
While many traditional automotive technician programs only teach automotive skills, GM ASEP does more. At every GM ASEP college you will earn an Associate Degree in Applied Science (or similar). This degree will enable you to advance your career path. All GM ASEP graduates also receive extensive credit toward GM or ACDelco certification, thus making them more valuable to their employers.
GM ASEP is a strategic alliance among students, General Motors, ACDelco, ACDelco Professional Service Centers and more than 56 carefully selected colleges and universities. While many traditional automotive training programs only teach automotive skills, GM ASEP does more. GM ASEP incorporates advanced automotive technical training with a strong academic foundation rooted in math, reading, electronics, analytical and technical skills.
The GM ASEP process streamlines the path to becoming a certified service technician to only 2 years. Students alternate between formal classroom training and hands-on work experience at a GM dealership or ACDelco Professional Service Center. Instructors are GM trained and in touch with the latest automotive technology trends. Students learn how to identify, analyze and solve problems. Theory and practical application come together as students spend time working on vehicles for actual customers.
HOW IT WORKS
GM ASEP prepares students for a high-tech career in vehicle repair. GM ASEP students are trained on vehicles featuring the latest technology at a GM dealer or ACDelco Professional Service Center. This training gives students a winning edge in today's competitive workplace.
GM ASEP allows students the flexibility to alternate between attending college and working at a sponsoring Professional Service Center. GM ASEP students alternate between work and school on an 8-to-12-week rotation schedule.
WHY CHOOSE GM ASEP?
High-Tech, High-Skill Career
Repairing today's complex vehicles requires a high degree of skill, and GM ASEP prepares students for this high-tech career. Because of ACDelco's relationship with General Motors, GM ASEP students are trained on vehicles with the latest technology both at college and during their automotive internships at a GM dealer or ACDelco Professional Service Centers. This high-level training will give students an edge in today's competitive workplace.
- Earn GM Certification
GM ASEP students complete between 80 percent to 100 percent of all the GM training required to become a GM-certified automotive technician. The more students train, the more valuable they become as employees.
- Recruit Automotive Technicians
Recruiting qualified technicians is an industry challenge. Student participation in GM ASEP allows GM Dealers or ACDelco Professional Service Centers to train students in their service department processes. GM ASEP students alternate between work and school on an 8 to 12-week rotation schedule.
- Save Money
Each GM ASEP graduate will complete several hundred hours of GM Training (Service Technology College or ACDelco training). This saves employees a lot in training costs.
GM ASEP STUDENT BENEFITS
- GM provides instructor training on the latest trends in technology. The GM ASEP program teaches exclusively on current GM products.
- The program allows students to alternate between attending college and working at a sponsoring GM dealership or an ACDelco Professional Service Center for approximately 2 years.
- GM provides new vehicles, training components and training aids for students to work on and learn from in a closely supervised and structured environment.
- General theory and basic information are applied. Students learn how to identify, analyze and solve problems. Theory and practical application come together as students spend time working on current-model-year vehicles.
- Students are paid employees of the dealership or service center, giving them the opportunity to earn while they learn. In addition, there is a special discount with Snap-On Tools®, exclusive to GM ASEP students.
- GM ASEP students complete between 80 percent and 100 percent of all the GM training required to become a GM-certified automotive technician.
- To ensure training meets or exceeds industry standards, all GM ASEP colleges and universities are National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence/National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation (ASE/NATEF)-certified.
GM ASEP SPONSOR BENEFITS
- Student participation in GM ASEP allows GM dealers or ACDelco Professional Service Centers to train students in their service department processes.
- Each GM ASEP graduate will complete several hundred hours of GM Training (Service Technology College or ACDelco training). This saves employees a considerable amount of training costs.
- Candidate must be a high school graduate and accepted into a participating college.
- Candidates must have and maintain a GM dealership or service center sponsorship (the college will assist students in securing sponsors).
- Candidates are required to wear a dealership-provided work uniform during school and at work.
- Candidates are responsible for all program costs, including tuition, fees, books, and tools.
HOW TO ENROLL
- Pick a college that offers GM ASEP at gmasep.org and contact the program coordinator. They will provide students with an application form and other program details.